Learn how to produce quality, studio product photography under the expert guidance of Brad Bartholomew at this full-day workshop aimed at those starting out with product photography or those wanting to hone their existing skills. Many of the techniques transfer to portraiture but we will not be featuring a human subject on this occasion.
The day will include classroom time, and demonstrations, then attendees will work in pairs (one photographer, one assistant) on a variety of setups. Brad will be able to give one-on-one advice during this part of the day and attendees may bring along a personal project if they wish.
Expect to leave the workshop with an increased understanding of:
- Different types of studio lighting equipment (tungsten/strobe/LED) and how and when to use them.
- Different light modifiers.
- What light can do for separation, dimension, texture, and mood.
- How to identify the most important features of the product and communicate that visually.
- Why composition and styling play such an important role.
- How to overcome problems like shiny metal objects, glass, and tricky materials.
- What it takes to assist a photographer, how to be a good assistant, and how as a photographer you must communicate effectively with your assistant.
There will be an opportunity to borrow Nikon, Sony, and Canon lenses (no mirrorless options).
What you need to bring with you:
- Materials for note taking.
- Camera with a hot shoe (transmitters will be provided).
- Lenses of your choice
A personal project to photograph if you wish (no alcoholic beverages or weapons allowed).
Attendees will be asked to complete a questionnaire after registration to help tailor the material presented on the day.
This workshop is limited to 14 attendees.
Date: Saturday, September 16, 2023
Location: Arapahoe Community College Photography Studio, Littleton.
Time: 8:30 am or 9:30 am (*see below) – 6 pm
Cost: PPC / PPA / PPGCS Guild Member $149
Non-Member Cost: $199
Event Policy: Please review our PPC Cancellation Policy
PPC Fellowship Points: 1 PPA Continuing Education Merit for the full day. Attendees must attend the full day in order to get the continuing education merit.
About Brad Bartholomew
Brad Bartholomew is an award-winning, commercial photographer and educator living and working near Denver, Colorado.
For over 30 years he has championed students of photography, helping them to create dynamic, vibrant imagery, and is currently based at Arapahoe Community College in Littleton. Throughout his career, he has worked for national and local clients including Apple Computer, Celestial Seasonings, the Colorado Ballet, Children’s Hospital, and Coors Brewing Company. In 2013, the first edition of the book he co-wrote with Joe Levine, Light Right – Learn How to Create Images, Set Up a Studio, and Launch Your Photography Career was published by Peachpit.